|For both 4th and 5th grade, the social studies curriculum begins the year with a study of Native American tribes of our nation and state. A central focus of this standard is understanding how the natural environment has influenced the development of culture in different tribes.
- Students can identify the major physical regions of the state (4 th ) or country (5 th ) on a map using the longitude and latitude guides.
- Students can describe the defining attributes of their chosen region.
- Students can identify the major Native American tribes that lived or live in their chosen region.
- Students can identify at least 6 natural resources that the Native American tribes in their region depended on and explain how they used them for their food, shelter, or tools.
- Students can compare Native American tribes from different physical regions and infer how differences in their culture of customs may or may not be related to the difference in environment.