San Jose, CA

Post Offices

U. S. Post Office Building

This Romanesque style structure was the City's first federal building, namely the old U.S. Post Office. It was designed by Willoughby Edbrooke, and was built in 1892 using sandstone from the nearby Goodrich Quarry in New Almaden. An upper portion of the corner tower was lost in the 1906 earthquake. In 1933, the post office operations were moved to a new facility near St. James Park after the old quarters were determined to be too small. From 1937 to 1970 the building served as a public library and, in 1970, it became the San Jose Museum of Art.

Main Post Office

This beautiful building was designed by Ralph Wyckoff to house San Jose's Main Post Office. It was built as a W.P.A. project in 1933 and is a prime example of Depression-Era federal construction. The terra cotta work on the building's exterior is particularly fine. Although the Main Post Office has been moved, this building continues to serve as the downtown branch post office.


Return to Tom Blackman's San Jose Walking Tour Home Page